Thursday, January 30, 2014

Minto Brown Island Park or The Walk with my Long Shadow

This weekend in Salem the sunshine came out in full glory, and Jason and I went to Minto Brown Island Park to bask in the elusive natural vitamin D so rare for Western Oregon winter.

Minto Brown Island Park is no longer a real island; its location by the Willamette river and several Willamette sloughs has seen periodic flooding, which has changed the course of the river throughout history and altered the truth of the word "island" in the park's name.  The land of the park is expansive,  over 890 acres, and about 5 miles of trails, some paved and some dirt, loop around the park through trees, fields, and along the river.

Field and Trail and Feet at Minto Brown Island Park. January 2014.

Minto Brown Island Park is a peaceful place to put your feet on the ground, and I mean with conscience intention, and feel your roots rejoin the earth for a moment before traveling along the trail.  It's a good place for biking, jogging, and rollerblading.  It's a good place for bird-watching and for fishing.  I think it's a good place for breathing.

Hawk in Minto Brown Island Park. January 2014.

A portion of the park has been designated for dogs to be able to run and play without the restriction of their leashes.  We walked past this grass-cut field and watched packs of dogs chasing each other with their tongues lolling out between narrow canine teeth and their winter fur lifting in oily tufts all over their bodies.  I admired a Weimaraner that was such a pretty color of gray that its slender legs appeared almost blue; it was staring at its owner intently, who was holding a frisbee but was talking on the phone.

Further along the trail, when we got into the forested area nearer to the water, I realized how little I know about plants in Oregon.  When living in Southern Idaho I knew to avoid goat-heads and cheat grass, to appreciate the smell of sage brush, and that wild sunflowers aren't good for picking because they are always covered in ants.  I never paid any mind to that knowledge.  It was a recognition that came with living there for a long time.  Here I see the moss on the trees, the brambles alongside the road, some ivy-like vine pulling itself up a tree-host, and I don't know the weeds from the wildflowers.

Willamette River Inlet. Minto Brown Island Park. January 2014.

It's okay, to not always know things.  I have to remind myself of this.

The Walk with my Long Shadow. Minto Brown Island Park. January 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment