Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving: A Day of Running

Thanksgiving is about many things: First and foremost, for thanks, then family and food.  This year for me, Thanksgiving was about running a 5k. 

I’d signed Jason and myself up for the Salem Thanksgiving Day Run’ocopia before I moved to Salem, before I had even packed.  In the month before moving, I spent a lot of my free time browsing the internet for activities and sites in Salem.  I would crouch over my laptop, scrounging up travel websites with articles on Salem, imagining my new life as an Oregonian.  I began a mental list of all the places I wanted to go, restaurants I wanted to try, things I wanted to do.  The Salem Turkey Run came to my attention and I thought, “Sure, I can train for a 5k in less than three weeks.”

I come from a family of runners.  I remember, when I was younger, my dad would go on morning runs before work.  He always says that physical activity is the best treatment for a depressed mind, and as Fathers typically are, he is correct.  My mother ran track and cross country in high school (ironically in Salem), her famous race being the 800 meter run.  I remember being at the state high school track meet in Idaho and looking at the record times for my school’s 3A division.  My mother’s 800 meter time was faster than Idaho’s 3A record.  It was in this moment I realized, with awe, my mother’s talent, which she humbly hardly mentions.  My sister Sarah runs frequently for no one but herself.  She runs typically between three and eight miles at least twice a week, sometimes with more frequency and sometimes less, depending on the season, her body, and her schedule.  If she doesn't run, she starts sleepwalking at night.  When I was living with her, she took a break from running for about a month.  I remember hearing her walk around the apartment in the wee hours of the night.  She’d walk into the dark kitchen and open the refrigerator , staring inside, or take off her socks in the corner of the living room and leave them there.  In the morning she wouldn't remember these things, and then she’d look with confusion at the balls of her socks in the corner of the room opposite of where she slept, wondering how they had gotten off her feet.  My youngest sister got a track scholarship for college, and while she focuses mostly on jumping, her frequent running workouts mean that she is in top physical condition, lean as chicken breast, and her running pace is quick and precise.  She is a running force.

While I ran in high school myself, I am not the runner of the family, to say the least.

The first day I started “training,” I slowed from a jog to a walk after less than ten minutes time; my lungs felt as if they were coated on the inside with ice crystals that would break off and then refreeze to the lining of my lungs with every breath in and out.  It stung and I felt like my lungs were small persimmon-sized rocks, hard and unexpansive in my chest.  The entire rest of the day I had a deep-throated and painful cough as though I had smoked a pack of cigarettes instead of gone running.  The next training day felt better.  Before I started off into my jog into the November Boise air, I walked, taking purposeful breaths in and out, trying to acclimate.  My next run was even better.  I worked up from ten minutes to fifteen, then twenty, then I unexpectedly ran over twenty-five minutes before realizing that I had gone over that day’s running-time goal.

On Thanksgiving day, the day of the race, I woke up at 4:30 am with a tummy ache; the richness of dinner the night before had disagreed with me.  I spent the next few hours on the floor of our new apartment’s guest bathroom, sporadically heaving over the toilet bowl, the bitter taste of stomach acid inside my mouth and nose.  With the guest bathroom christened, I finally went back to bed and slept for about forty-five minutes before the alarm went off.

“You don’t have to do the race,” my husband said, “we can skip it.”

It was a tempting offer, although I know my body, and I knew that it had already expelled whatever it needed to, and I would be fine for the rest of the day.  It was a tempting offer, even if I hadn't been ill all morning.  The bed was so soft, the denseness of early morning still making me sleepy—but I’d put so much work into preparing myself for the race.  Surprisingly, I was looking forward to it.

And so we ran.

The race was as you’d expect it to be.  Some runners were serious competitors; some people were just out to have a good time with their family.  There were moments when I desperately wanted to stop and walk, but I didn't.  Mostly people passed me, but sometimes I would pass someone as I crept along the trail in my slow pace.  Up the hill on the course there was a sign mid-way up: “This is the only hill, You can do it!”  After I had completed about three-fourths of the course, my left foot fell asleep. About 200 yards from the finish line, the winner of the 10k race, who had to run the course twice, passed me.  When I saw the finish line, I picked up my speed, stretching to make it, to complete the race, looking forward to the reviving feeling of sweat chill on the body once it cools down from constant motion.  My time was 36 minutes 5 seconds (which is slow, comparatively), but I was so proud of myself that I literally had to hold back tears of excitement after finishing.

I ran the race for me. It wasn't about winning or trying to fit into the Oregonian running-culture.  It was about a taking a short-term goal and making it my own and being happy with my hard work and my results, even if I was passed during the race or didn't come in with a competitive time  (things that would normally have me beating myself up).  Somewhat romantically, I feel like the spirit of the 5k Turkey-run came at the perfect time, when the change of moving to another state can become either a story of success or failure.  The race is a parallel event to the move to Salem, and I feel like the success I feel from my completion of the race is an omen for the success I can work towards here, not only as I search for jobs or friends, but also mentally, as I choose to focus on the journey of the race, rather than my “time” at the finish.

The rest of Thanksgiving?  I choreographed and cooked a Thanksgiving meal for the two of us and ate all the calories I’d burned earlier in the day, happily.





No comments:

Post a Comment