Sunday, March 29, 2015

Goodbye, Grandma Reva.

Grandma Reva Ruth Seal Lane passed away this March, from life to light.  She lived for 87 years and was a sparkle the entire time.  I had the blessing of knowing her for the last 5 years when I started dating (eventually marrying) her grandson.  I don’t really want to talk about her death- death is the greatest mystery, but it is also the simplest truth- none of us can escape.  What isn’t a mystery is what a blessing Grandma Reva was to so many people.

Grandma Reva at our wedding. August 12, 2012.

The first time I met Reva, Jason was bringing me home to Wyoming to meet his family for the first time.  I hadn’t seen Jason for several days, because I was visiting my family in Southern Idaho.  Jason picked me up at my parent’s house and when I opened the door at his arrival I almost choked on laughter when I saw him.  As a joke, he had shaved off all of his facial hair, leaving only a sassy mustache reminiscent of the 70’s.  I had to stare at that mustache the entire 8-hour drive to Wyoming. When we got there, and saw Reva, one of the first things she said to him was, “Well don’t you look dashing in that mustache?  You ought to wear it like that all the time!”

The truth is, Reva always was one for flashy style.  In her living room she had bright pink furniture.  When playing Pinochle, she always wanted to “Shoot the Moon” even if the cards she was holding were impossible for such a bold move. Once, on a family camping trip, she showed up wearing florescent lime green from top to bottom (and the bright colors had nothing to do with hunter safety).

Reva - The Early Years

When she was younger, Reva worked as a waitress at several restaurants in Riverton, WY including the Gaslight, the Sundowner, and Trailhead.  She was a well-loved waitress and coworker, and she was known for the rings she wore.  I am told that she wore rings on each finger, and often more than one, so rings were stacked on her petite fingers like strings of jewels on a chandelier chain. She used to waltz around the restaurant tables, spinning plates on her twinkling fingers, serving people and reminding them of their worth.  In the Davis Funeral Home online guestbook, many guests shared their fond memories of her and her adorned hands from those days. 

I remember her so well, the rings, always so many rings on her hands, loved that.
 – Merlene Hudson

What a "Gal"!!! What a "waitress"!!!
– Barbara Sauer

Her hands were so special.  I remember thinking as a child, that when I grew older, I wanted to have hands like hers.
–Karlee Larsen-Zach

Many memories of her, Kmart, Trailhead, and yes, the rings!
 –Bob and Wendy Dilts

Even in her eighties, when I knew her, she wore many rings, asked me about the rings I wore, and loved to tell stories about the different times she got new jewelry.  Truly, she had a style like no other.

Jason holding his Grandma Reva's hand. August 2012.

From the moment I met her, I always told Jason I wanted to be just like his grandma when I grew up.  By that I meant I wanted to share her zest for life, her unique charm, her love for people, and her generous heart.  There are so many stories of her, of her generosity, her sense of humor, her special kind of spitfire.  And I will never forget those stories; I will never forget Grandma Reva. 

The last time I saw Reva, Jason and I were in Colorado for a wedding.  We got to have breakfast with her, and she shared stories about the late Grandpa Bob, of shady management during the time she worked at the restaurant, a story about an old man in a motorized cart chasing her around Walmart to ask her out, and about how much she was enjoying seeing family. I bought a ring on that trip with a turquoise stone.  Every time I wear that ring, I will wear it in her honor.

Grandma Reva and I in her Kitchen in Riverton, WY. Summer 2013.


To learn more about this remarkable lady, please see her obituary, here:  http://thedavisfuneralhome.com/obit.aspx?I=1960

1 comment:

  1. She sounds like a lovely women. And you tell her story beautifully. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete