Saturday, January 3, 2015

Intentions: An Awkward, Vulnerable, Inside-My-Head, Writing-for-Self-Therapy Post

Today was a gray rainy day, but a beautiful gray day.  I woke up happy, I cruised around an over-crowded Costco happy, and before my husband went to work after lunch, we took a peaceful hike through a forest grove that made me feel even happier.  I decided to continue the joy and take myself on a date.

I drove downtown and found a quiet street near my destination where I didn't have to parallel park.  I walked along the streets, admiring the color of the older buildings in the clouded light (really, it has its own charm), and made my way to the favorite bookstore in Salem.  Taking in the lovely smell of books, I did a quick look for the resident bookstore cat and purchased the book I wanted before heading back into the chilled Salem air.  I allowed myself a relaxed pace and the freedom to go into any store that was open that seemed interesting: a store with jewelry, garments, and tchotchkes from India, Africa, and other exotic places; a consignment shop where I purchased a vintage suede skirt; a coffee shop.

Taking my mug of Oolong tea at The Governor’s Cup, I found a table away from the epicenter where espresso machines hiss and the mechanic sound of the milk steamer vibrating distracts.  I pulled out stationary, and happily reminisced about Christmas 2014 as I wrote thank you cards for gifts I had received over the holiday. Licking the envelope on my last card, I stacked the letters, a notebook, and my new book by my tea as I sipped.  I still felt happy.  I took a picture of my moment (Instagram makes me happy too!) before picking up my book to start reading.


In my contentment, I almost didn't notice that the two girls sitting near me, who had previously been catching up and chatting about their college lives and latest proud endeavors, started whispering and staring my way.  I only caught a small catch of a phrase, “I don’t know, maybe she's…” when I accidentally looked up and noticed their eyes were on me.  They quickly looked away and made their conversation scarce.

Here's the truth.  I’m ashamed at how quickly my contentment was destroyed by self-consciousness and doubt and the feeling of not belonging.  It has been a long time since I've been alone in a public situation like that where I feel vulnerable and small and it came on as quickly as gravity.  I felt as though someone had picked up a brick and dropped it directly on my day.  I remembered, quickly, why I don't usually go on dates by myself.

The situation made me realize another deeper sore spot.  When I lived in Boise, I frequented coffee shops, restaurants, and made shopping trips more often, because I had dear girlfriends in my peer group with which to spend time.  Almost weekly I would get together with my sister or my closest girlfriend at some busy establishment or some local event, and I frequently felt a sense of community and involvement and a connection to my place and that friend.  I've been in Salem a year now, and I can count on one hand the times I've gone somewhere (just me, not as a couple) with a friend my age (besides my husband of course, who is gracious, patient, and is a saint for living with me and spending so much of his free time with me) just to hang out and talk.  I didn't only feel self-conscious because two college girls may have been judging me for whatever reason, but I felt self-conscious about my lack of friends here and the empty chair next to my table.

This, being the beginning of January, is as good a time as any to reflect on this and make some intentions:

My intention is to work on losing concern about what others could be thinking of me and to lose self-comparison.  I have a tendency to entertain thoughts about the bad things other people could think of me, which really steals my joy.  As someone wise once said, “What other people think of you is none of your business.” If I wasn't so busy feeling self-conscious about my interaction with those two girls, maybe I could have started a conversation with them and possibly made a new friend or two instead of entertaining toxic thoughts of the negative things they could have been saying about me.  Their judgment wasn't even confirmed, and I still let it ruin my moment.

My intention is to make friends in my age-range in this town.  No offense to my husband or my grandparents, who I love to hang out with, but I want some girlfriends who get me!  I want someone to sing along with me to Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill in the car (my husband can’t quite get the angry chick thing down). I want someone who would want to go to art museums with me, and indie films, and book readings.  I want someone who will invite me to events that reflect their interests, so I can experience new things, and someone to tell me stories about their crazy family, or their bad day at work, or to listen to me talk about these things. 

These intentions will take work and conscious effort on my part and I could use a little help from the Universe too. For now I can say, it is still a beautiful day and I'm cultivating my happiness back right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment