Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Inhale, Exhale, Repeat.

Virabhadrasana III (Warrior III Pose) Variation in Bandon, Oregon

This month has been a study of breath. Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.  It's such a simple thing, really, and yet harder to concentrate on and control than you think.  This month I have been spending time in yoga practice, breathing through a series of poses on my mat, and working on a new pose every day (following poses and inspiration from this October's #SpooktacularYogis challenge on Instagram).

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.  Child's Pose-Tabletop-Inhale/Cow-Exhale/Cat. They say the cat/cow vinyasa improves posture, increases coordination, strengthens the spine and neck, creates emotional balance, relieves stress, and calms the mind. Mountain-forwardfold-plank-straighten back-chaturranga-cobra-downdog. This is the Surya Namaskar Sun Salutation.  Besides just being a good workout, I've read it detoxifies the body, provides support for the digestive system, and oxygenates the blood.  Believe what you will, but I've also heard that it can help shrink prominent Adam's apples and prevent loss of hair and graying.  My favorite part of class? Remembering to breath, remembering to live in the moment, and feeling stronger physically and emotionally afterwards.

Ardha Padmasana Vrksasana (Half Lotus Tree Pose)

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.  It's a good thing to try and remember on days like one I had a few weeks ago, in which I forgot to wear deodorant.  Not a big deal, right?  Except for the fact that the heater in my work building was broken, stuck somehow in super-sauna mode:

"I'm sweating just sitting here," my office-mate says.

"I called the building manager," I say, trying not to have a heat stroke, "he says they are working on it."

"Isn't it WAY hotter than normal," an engineer says, walking past my desk.

"We really should have windows that open," my office-mate says.  I feel a sliver of sweat cut down my back.

The heater was fixed by noon, just as we left for an office lunch.  I sit down at the restaurant table and the President and CEO of the company sits directly next to me.  Nervously I eat my lunch, trying not to lift my arms when I reach for my water glass.

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.  Even when you can start to smell your non-deodorant scent.  Inhale. Exhale. Repeat. Try not to crawl under your desk. Inhale. Exhale. Repeat. I got home, put on deodorant, went to yoga class, and came home laughing at my day.

Photo from yoga practice outside on my deck on an unusually warm October day.

It's a good thing to try and remember for the good days too.  Like this month when Jason surprised me on the six year anniversary of our first date with tickets to go see The Black Keys in concert, or when I was waiting for my parents to arrive on their first visit out to see me since I've moved to Oregon. Inhale excitement, exhale impatience, repeat, repeat, repeat.

My (imperfect, but gutsy) attempt at Viparita Garudasana (Inverted Eagle Pose) 

I've learned a lot and tried a lot of new poses this month, and I hope to continue this adventure in strength, relaxation, flexibility, energy, and, of course, simply breathing.

Natarajasana (Lord of the Dance Pose) in Bandon, Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment